- The Frank W. Beare Award, for an “outstanding book in the areas of Christian Origins, Post-Biblical Judaism and/or Graeco-Roman Religions” 2017: Divine Wrath and Salvation in Matthew: The Narrative World (Fortress, 2016).
- The Westrupska Award, for The Origins of the Synagogue, The Royal Academy of Humanities, Lund, Sweden, 2004.
- The Biörnstjärnska Award for The Origins of the Synagogue, The Royal Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities, received from the King of Sweden at a ceremony in the Royal Palace, Stockholm, Sweden, 2003.
- The Lars Johan Wallmark Award for scholarly excellence, The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies at Lund University, Sweden, 2002.
- The Esaias Tegnér Award, for excellence in exegetical research, Lund University, Sweden, 2002.
Other Scholarly Honours
- Selected as Author in Focus, November 2011, by Brill Academic Publishers (Leiden, The Netherlands)
- Nominated for the President’s Award for Excellence in Graduate Supervision, McMaster University, 2013.
- Nominated for the President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, McMaster University, 2006.